Your car battery is one of the most important components under the hood. Without it, your car just won’t run. At Franklin Toyota, our service center technicians specialize in battery service for customers near Statesboro, Metter, and Sylvania, Georgia, so you can ensure your vehicle is always running its best.
From battery testing to new battery installation for all makes and models, we can help you avoid the need for towing or jump-starts today. To learn more about our services and when you might need them, keep reading below!
Car Battery Service & When You Need It
As a full-service Toyota dealer, we’re proud of our Master Certified and Toyota Certified technicians who work diligently to keep your car safe and on the road. These professionals have been Toyota factory trained, but also have the ability to work on all makes and models of vehicles.
We offer a range of practical service specials for our customers, so drivers can confidently explore all that this area and beyond has to offer in a safe set of wheels. Don’t know when to service your battery? If your vehicle is experiencing any of the following, turn to these experts to correct the battery issue:
- Issues with electrical components: Flickering interior lights, your radio acting funny, or slow-to-roll-down windows can also be a dying battery’s fault. If any of these systems are slower than usual or acting a little weird, it’s time for battery service.
- Engine is slow to turn over: Does it take a while for your engine to start? The battery could be the culprit. Excessive cranking and sluggishness are signs your battery is nearing the end of its life.
- Battery has never been tested: If you’ve never tested your battery, there’s no better time than the present. We can inspect your battery’s voltage to ensure it’s at a proper level, as well as clean and maintain the component to lengthen its life.
- Check Battery light is on: This is the easiest way to tell if your car needs battery service. This symbol will look like a little battery on your dashboard. If it pops up when you’re driving, pull over to the side of the road and contact our service center.
- Rotten egg smell: When your battery isn’t working as it should, you might be able to smell rotten eggs in your cabin. This typically means you have a leak in your battery line, a problem that should be assessed right away.
How Long Does a Car Battery Last?
The average lifespan of a car battery is typically around five years, and eight years for electric or hybrid models. However, where and how you drive are big factors in the longevity of your battery.
- Warm Climates: If you live in a warm area (like Statesboro), you’ll probably have to service and replace your battery more frequently. Warmer climates cause lead sulfate crystals to form on your battery, which causes it to wear down quicker.
- Stop-and-Go Commuting: Busy city traffic that requires you to stop and go a lot can also affect your battery. Continually accelerating and stopping gives little time for your alternator to recharge, causing your battery to work harder.
- Short Trips: The same happens when you take short drives that are under 20 minutes. With not enough time for your battery to recharge, it’ll need to use more power, which, if it happens enough, can shorten your battery’s lifespan.
Car Battery Voltage
Want to tell if your battery is in good health? Checking the voltage is a great place to start. A fully charged car battery should measure at 12.6 volts when turned off and somewhere between 13.7 and 14.7 volts when the car is running. How do you check this? With a special tool called a multimeter.
If you don’t have a multimeter, try the headlight trick. Turn on your car’s headlights. If they’re dim or get brighter when you rev the engine, this means the voltage in your battery isn’t strong enough.
You can get your battery’s voltage checked at our service center. If we see that it’s a little low, we’ll be happy to service it for you. Should your car, pickup truck, or SUV be in need of a new vehicle battery, we stock a variety of possibilities that are sure to complement your make and model, including genuine Toyota batteries.
Schedule Car Battery Service Today!
We make it easy to schedule an appointment for your battery service. You can use our online form to make your appointment or give us a call to speak to a professional about your needs.
Thanks to our experienced auto technicians, our service center can assist motorists of all makes, so don't hesitate to book your car's battery service now! We even offer a comfortable waiting lounge that boasts a number of amenities, so you can relax while our team completes the work.
For competitively priced and professional auto maintenance with superb customer care and service, Franklin Toyota is here for you. We proudly service customers around the Statesboro, Sylvania, and Metter, GA, area.